Monday, February 11, 2008

Why I can't do comics


The "Graphic Novel" seems to be the next great idea for both Hollywood and publishers. I've read a few, I liked Alan Moore's "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" and "V for Vendetta" though both ended up as mediocre films. I haven't seen the film version, but Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis was amazingly brilliant.


I started reading "Y: The Last Man" a couple years ago, the plot twist grabbed me right away, every last man on the planet except for Yorick Brown (Y) suddenly drops dead of some unknown plague. Y was originally released in a series of comic books (yes I know 43 is a little bit old to still be reading comic books), but I didn't pick it up until the first two years or so were collected into softcover books.


I enjoyed them enough to continue reading the series right on through to the end, issue number 60 which I just finished. Even though I stuck it out until the end, it reminded me why I could never become a true comic geek. I simply don't have the patience.
I can bang through an issue in about 15 minutes. Then I'm supposed to wait six weeks for the next chapter? Not happening, think I'll wait for the thing to be collected in book form.

1 comment:

Ed Valentine said...

Hey, I personally don't think 43 is too old for comics. If it helps, you could always say that you're doing research for your cousin in Hollywood!

For a seriously nasty, truly bizarre comic: check out "My Monkey's Name is Jennifer." (His name is Jennifer, but he's a boy monkey.) Sample dialogue:

the lady is yelling again
i hate the lady
when my nails grow back
everything will be
different
i will feed on human flesh
WAAAAAAAAA